samedi 22 mai 2010

Carte maritime ancienne...

Pas de date pour cette cartographie

vendredi 21 mai 2010

mardi 11 mai 2010

L'incendie de 1840 vue par l'Ami de la Religion

Nouveau document à mettre dans notre dossier sur l'important incendie qui détruisit une grande partie des habitations de Creully

Diocèse de Bayeux.

Un incendie, attribué à l’imprudence et favorisé par un vent impétueux, a réduit en cendres, dans la nuit du 17 au 18 de ce mois, un tiers du bourg de Creully, arrondissement de Caen.
Quatre-vingt-dix maisons ont été la proie des flammes, sans que les secours empressés des populations voisines, des professeurs et des élèves du séminaire de Villiers-le-Sec, aient pu arrêter les progrès du fléau. Plus de deux cent cinquante individus sont restés sans asile, et près de deux cents sont maintenant sans pain et sans autres vêtements que ceux dont ils s'étaient précipitamment couverts pour échapper aux flammes. Ils ont tous été recueillis par leurs compatriotes, et notamment par MM. de Marguerye et d'Imfreville qui leur ont prodigué les soins les plus tendres.

La charité n'a pas tardé à venir en aide à cette population infortunée. Une commission, composée du pasteur et des notabilités de l'endroit et des environs, a été aussitôt formée pour recevoir les offrandes. Les familles riches et bienfaisantes du pays ont fourni les premiers secours. M. le préfet du Calvados s'est empressé de recueillir les dons des divers chefs d'administration, et il a apporté lui-même, le lendemain, du sinistre, une somme de 1,3oo fr.
M. l'évêque de Bayeux n'est pas resté en arrière dans cet élan de générosité : à peine informé du malheur de ses diocésains, il s'est rendu sur les lieux, et après avoir remis une somme de 1,000 fr. à la commission pour être distribuée aux plus nécessiteux, il a été visiter et consoler les victimes de l'incendie ; il était comme un père au milieu de ses enfants.
Le prélat est allé ensuite à l'église qui s'est trouvée remplie en un instant ; et, dans une allocution touchante et paternelle, il s'est efforcé de ranimer le courage de cette population désolée, et qui a été émue jusqu'aux larmes de la démarche et de la tendre charité de son premier pasteur. Puis, il a imploré sur elle, dans un salut solennel, les miséricordes et les bénédictions du Seigneur.
Enfin, M. l'évêque a prescrit une quête pour les incendiés de Creully, dans toutes les églises de l'arrondissement de Caen et dans les cantons de Ryes et de Bayeux, les plus rapprochés de celui de Creully.

mercredi 5 mai 2010

Creully sur toile

INTERIOR OF THE CHURCH OF CREULLY

ARCHITECTURAL ANTIQUITIES OF NORMANDY,
BY JOHN SELL COTMAN;
ACCOMPANIED BY
HISTORICAL AND DESCRIPTIVE NOTICES
BY
DAWSON TURNER, ESQ. F.R. AND A.S.
VOLUME THE FIRST.
LONDON:
PRINTED FOR JOHN AND ARTHUR ARCH, CORNHILL;
AND J. S. COTMAN, YARMOUTH.

INTERIOR OF THE CHURCH OF CREULLY.

Creully, whose church has been here selected for publication, as a favorable specimen of genuine Norman architecture, is a small market-town of the diocese of Bayeux, situated about six miles to the east of the city of that name, and fifteen miles north-west of Caen. It is an ancient barony, having been honored with that distinction by Henry I. in favor of his natural son, the Earl of Glocester, many of whose descendants, according to Masseville, were still living in Normandy in the eighteenth century, and bore the name of Creully. The same author makes mention of the Lords of Creully, on more than one occasion, in the course of his Norman history.—They are to be found in the list of the barons that accompanied Duke Robert to the Holy Land, in 1099; and when the Genoese, in 1390, called upon the King of France for succours against the infidels of the coast of Barbary, and the pious monarch sent an army to their relief, under the command of the Duke of Bourbon, the name of the Seigneur de Creully stands prominent among those who embarked upon that unfortunate expedition. Again, in 1302, the Baron of Creully held the fifth place among the nine lords from the bailiwick of Caen, who were summoned to sit in the Norman exchequer.


From the days of the Earl of Glocester to the breaking out of the French revolution, the barony of Creully continued to be held by different noble families. In the early part of the eighteenth century, when Masseville published his work, it was in the hands of the heirs of M. de Seigneley-Colbert, who likewise possessed other considerable domains in Normandy. The last that had the title was a member of the family of Montmorenci.—His emigration caused the estate to be confiscated, and sold as national property; but the baronial castle is now standing, and displays, in two of its towers, and in a chimney of unusual form, a [111] portion of its ancient character. The rest of the building is modernized into a spruce, comfortable residence, which, in 1818, was occupied by an English general of the name of Hodgson.[203]

The writer of this article has met with no records connected with the church of Creully.—Externally, it is wholly modernized; but within, the nave, side-aisles, and choir, are all purely Norman, except at the extremities. The piers are very massy; the arches wide and low; the capitals covered with rude, but remarkable sculpture, which is varied on every pillar; and the walls are of extraordinary thickness.